[K12OSN] LTSP version choices

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jun 15 18:03:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 12:44, Bill Bardon wrote:
> On Wednesday, Jun 15 Les Mikesell wrote:
> > K12ltsp is kind of an odd beast.  Normally you want to go for long
> > term support on servers because Linux server-side applications are
> > very mature and you don't miss much if you don't upgrade.  However,
> > the desktop apps are improving rapidly so you do want to stay up
> > to date there.  With thin-client systems the desktop runs on the
> > server so you may have to compromise.
>
> Thanks, Les, that clears it up for me quite well.  I usually prefer
> somewhat bleeding-edge on desktops, so I will go with FC3 for now, and
> upgrade to FC4 or over to Ubuntu when the time comes.

One thing I missed saying - but you might already know, is that RedHat
and Fedora have a general policy of not doing version-number upgrades
of applications within an OS distribution version.  Security and
bugfix patches are backed in if necessary to support the older apps.

I've never been able to figure out the Debian version/release policy
and Ubuntu is too new to have a track record, so I don't know how
they relate.  I'm kind of hoping that Ubuntu will stay on the stable
side with kernel/driver/server components and stay up to date with
desktop apps but you can't make everybody happy.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com