[K12OSN] VNC reflector SUCCESS!! with 4.2.1EL

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 19:40:18 UTC 2005

I am just pasting the message I sent the developers of vncreflector:
Success!!!

I got it to work. First I will tell you how I setup and use vncreflector.
First with RH9 then with RHEL4

OS RH9
1) start vncserver. The process is listed as
  Xvnc -inetd -query localhost -once -geometry 800x600 -depth 16

then run
# vncpasswd /usr/local/share/passwd

and stick in the student password
change the permissions on this file to 755 so everyone can read it

2) start vncreflector.
  ./vncreflector -p PASSWD_FILE -l 5999 HOST_INFO_FILE

where PASSWD_FILE has 2 passwords first one is teacher's password and
second is student's
and

HOST_INFO_FILE just has

localhost:1

now as teacher run

vncviewer localhost:99

input teacher pasword
so you connect to vncreflector with keyboard and mouse

as student from thin client run
vncviewer address_of_teacher_machine:99
type in student password and voila

VNC server supports protocol version 3.3 (viewer 3.3)
Password:
VNC authentication succeeded
Desktop name "x11"
Connected to VNC server, using protocol version 3.3
VNC server default format:
  32 bits per pixel.
  Least significant byte first in each pixel.
  True colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0
Using default colormap which is TrueColor.  Pixel format:
  32 bits per pixel.
  Least significant byte first in each pixel.
  True colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0
Same machine: preferring raw encoding

and you see the teacher demo. But this is all under RH9

The above did *NOT* work when I tried the exact same thing with RHEL4.
 The reason I
discovered is that RH9 and RHEL4 use different versions of vncviewer. RH9 uses
tightvnc and RHEL4 uses realvnc for the viewer. I just downloaded the
tightvnc viewer
only rpm and renamed /usr/bin/vncviewer to Xvncviewer and installed
the rpm with
--replacefiles option in rpm for the man page conflict. Then it worked
just like before. No problems.

Thank you soooooo much for making vncreflector it's super fantastic!

Just 2 question.

1) Why does real vncviewer not work and gives the message

$vncviewer localhost:99
VNC viewer for X version 4.0 - built Feb 21 2005 15:39:30
Copyright (C) 2002-2004 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.

Fri Jun 17 10:13:06 2005
 CConn:       connected to host localhost port 5999
 CConnection: Server supports RFB protocol version 3.3
 CConnection: Using RFB protocol version 3.3

Fri Jun 17 10:13:10 2005
 main:        End of stream

Something to note (but it made no difference) was Xvnc is started on RHEL4 with

/usr/bin/Xvnc -inetd -once -query localhost -fp unix/:7100
-SecurityTypes None -geometry 800x600 -depth 16

which is different from RH9 wrt -SecurityTypes and -fp (but this did
not prevent things from working once the viewer was changed)

2) Also,  I noticed

Same machine: preferring raw encoding

I suspect vnc is simply using raw encoding because it thinks the
display is on the same machine. But since this display is remote it
does go over the
network. So I figure it could make use of a better encoding method.
How can I speed things up because there is a definite lag on all
student displays
even using a fast switch.

Thank you for reading this long post.

--