[K12OSN] APT with fc3 or fc4?

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sun Jun 19 04:35:55 UTC 2005

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Olle Niit wrote:

> Synaptic wanted!
>
> Problem is:
> I don't know and ordinary user don't know what package does what.
> With FC2 based K12LTSP synaptic works.
> Synaptic is the only way to view a list of programs, installed or available to
> install, where I can get information, what this program does. I can easy
> determine, do I need them or not.
>
> Yum is not a option there. It helps only when I know what I want.
> Synaptic helps me when I want to browse uninstalled programs to find something
> useful for me.
>
> But now FC3 and FC4.
> Where get list file that points to correct addresses?
> I am looking for it some time now - nothing.
>
> Or can someone point me right direction to build my own apt repository for
> FC4?
> Without synaptic we can't pull users from Windows boxes to Linux boxes.

Hi Olle,

Synaptic & apt are included in the K12LTSP versions of FC3 & FC4.

I'm guessing one of three things:

1) you installed vanilla FC3 or FC4. In this case, just run:

 		yum install apt synaptic

   and you'll be in business

-or-

2) you have apt & synaptic installed, but don't like how it works
    in FC3/FC4. In this case, file a bug report or feature request...
    apt & synaptic are maintained in Fedora Extras. The Fedora Extras
    bugzilla is at:

 		https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla

-or-

3) I completely missed your point...