[K12OSN] backup question

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Mon Jun 20 04:01:48 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 10:38 -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have two scsi drives. One for / and another for /home. I was
> thinking about setting up a cron job to rsync my /home drive to
> another backup machine I will setup. But I'm not sure about my /
> drive. Do I have to boot from a live cd and mount / and then do the
> rsync?

No, rsync will copy image/file as it is on the disk at the point of
time. Thus even if one is working on a document (say in OO) the file as
it exists will be synchronised. The updated file (once the document
being edited is saved) would be copied only in the next sync.

OTOH why sync "/"? Since most of the directories here are static you
should sync "/var"
My $0.02 worth.

--
Sudev Barar