[K12OSN] backup question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Jun 20 04:23:37 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 12:38, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> I have two scsi drives. One for / and another for /home. I was
> thinking about setting up a cron job to rsync my /home drive to
> another backup machine I will setup. But I'm not sure about my /
> drive. Do I have to boot from a live cd and mount / and then do the
> rsync?

I guess it's time to plug backuppc again.
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/  will automatically collect
backups over the network, compress them, and link all duplicates
whether from different machines or different runs of the same
machine to save space.

> Also I'm going to upgrade to 4.2.1EL this summer any suggestions on
> partitioning? Should I have /var or /boot etc on separate partitions?
> reasons?

/boot should normally be a small separate partition - and must be
if you want the rest in software RAID or LVM.   Keeping /home
on it's own partition (or NFS-mounted from another machine)
often allows you to install a new OS version without losing
much data.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com