[K12OSN] backup question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Jun 20 12:41:41 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 00:50, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> So here is my dilemma:
> Option #1: RAID 0 with my dual channel controller
>
> pros
> faster (not sure how much though)
>
> cons
> lose one lose both
> I think I may lose the benefit of hardware scsi tcq (not sure)
> eats cpu cycles
>
> Option #2: stick /boot and / on one disk/controller and /home on the other
>
> pros
> separate launching/running apps from /home traffic
> no software RAID to mess with (simpler restore)
>
> cons
> ?

The con on option 2 is that /home is limited to the space
on the 2nd drive.  If you expect that to be enough, I'd
do it that way (#2) for simplicity and to make the disk
head seek independently for /home instead of fighting with
logging to /var which also happens all the time.  If
you do need more space for /home, there is a 3rd option
of using LVM to span the drives instead of RAID0, and
that is the default for FC3+ and RHEL4 (and Centos4).
LVM allows you to first combine the disks, then partition
the combined space as you want.  I've only done it on
some test boxes and don't know how hard it would be to
recover data if you have a problem on one of the drives.
If you are willing to go back to the previous day's backup
I guess it wouldn't matter.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com