[K12OSN] root on terminals

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Tue Jun 21 11:22:45 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 08:30, Peter Hartmann wrote:
> This could be a really silly question. But, is logging in as root or
> su on the terminals bad.  The server has crashed when doing this
> perhaps when when I just close the xterm window instead of exiting
> root.  Wha'da ya say?

If the server crashes when you are logged in as root, it doesn't matter much
as it has to be rebooted anyway.  If the client crashes when you are logged
in as root, you *should* be logged off.   We have found this to be the case
under KDE but when we were running Gnome, if the client crashed, the users
session would not be reaped.

You have to ask yourself the question, "Is it a good idea to be keying in the
root password in front of your users?"  Probably not, although there are
times when this might be unavoidable.  IMO root should be reservered for the
console only.
--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation