[K12OSN] Re: VNC reflector SUCCESS!! with 4.2.1EL

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Jun 22 06:05:54 UTC 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> Forget all the stuff I wrote in my previous post. There is an easier solution.
> You don't need the tightvnc viewer. The real vnc viewer that ships
> with Fedora/Centos works. Simply invoke the viewer with the -Shared
> switch.  And force hextile encoding for good measure.
>
> vncviewer -Shared -PreferedEncoding hextile `hostname`:99
>
> Check the syntax. Just view the man page for vncviewer.
>
> You can also edit the current TeacherTool python script with this mod
> and it should work fine. It's just one line. That line also has the
> -passwd path as well.

Forget all of this, there is an even easier method! (but a buggy one,
it needs a few fixes for an LTSP environment). There is a GNOME front-
end that essentially runs "vncviewer -Shared...."

Install the "vino" package (yum install vino) and then from the GNOME
menu select Desktop -> Preferences -> Remote Desktop. Click on the "Allow
others to view your desktop" and uncheck the "Allow others to control
your desktop". There are also check boxes for requiring a confirmation
and/or a password. (the executable is "vino-preferences" if you want to
try it from IceWM)

We played around with this while upgrading the Riverdale servers to
the 4.4.0 beta this weekend (vino is included in 4.2.1 & 4.2.1EL as well).

It does indeed work in a K12LTSP environment. It needs a few minor
enhancements to work well, Shahms said he had a good idea on how to
improve it for K12LTSP and would work on it.

-Eric