[K12OSN] rsyncing blacklists from mesd

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Jun 23 05:18:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Bill Bardon wrote:

> On Wednesday, Jun 22 Rob Owens wrote:
>> 1)  How often should I rsync my blacklist?
>
> Don't know the answer to this one.  Will be interested to find out
> myself.

Updates usually happen once a day. The K12LTSP squidGuard package is
set to automatically sync at 5:00am every day.

>> 2)  Should I use the --delete option?
> No.  The --delete is an rsync option that works on a file-by-file basis,
> so would do you no good if you're just rsyncing one tar file.

No, I you probably don't want to use --delete.  The "--delete" option
will likley remove any of your custom & local blacklists. Without
the "--delete" option, only specific blacklist categories are
updated. You can see the list by running this command:

 	rsync squidguard.mesd.k12.or.us::filtering

>> 3)  When I rsync'd the first time, the owner and group
>> for all files and directories showed up on my machine
>> as "23".  Is the proper way to solve this to write a
>> script which rsyncs and then changes the ownership to
>> something that makes sense to my machine, or is there
>> a better way?
>
> I have a script that came with the Debian install of squidguard that
> does pretty much just what you described.  It sets the correct owner and
> permissions, then updates the squidguard db files and restarts squid.
> Note, it doesn't included the rsync itself.
>
> Since it's so small, I can quote the whole thing here:

This script would work if you are rolling your own. The user needs
to be changed from "proxy.proxy" to "squid.squid" and the path
from "/var/lib/squidguard/db" to "/var/squidGuard/blacklists/".

I'll attach the K12LTSP update script.

> #! /bin/sh
> # db update script
> #
>
> echo -n "Double checking directory and file permissions..."
> chown -R proxy.proxy /var/lib/squidguard/db >/dev/null 2>&1
> chmod 2770 /var/lib/squidguard/db >/dev/null 2>&1
> echo "done!"
> echo -n "Re-building SquidGuard db files..."
> su - proxy -c "squidGuard -C all" >/dev/null 2>&1
> su - proxy -c "squidGuard -u" >/dev/null 2>&1
> echo "done!"
> if [ -e /etc/init.d/squid ]; then
>        echo -n "Reloading Squid..."
>        /etc/init.d/squid reload >/dev/null 2>&1
>        echo "done!"
> fi

-Eric