[K12OSN] regfile for redirect of My Documents

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Wed Jun 29 08:43:46 UTC 2005

Jason Ingalls wrote:
> This may get double posted since I originally replied from an unsubscribed
> account. I'll apologize in advance :)
>
> I work with Chuck and we've been working on this issue together.
>
> Is there a reason this doesn't work:
>
> ----------
>
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Folders]
>
> "Personal"=- (this part works, it deletes the Personal entry)
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Folders]
>
> "Personal"="P:\My Documents" (this part doesn't work, no Personal entry is
> recreated)
>
> -----------
>
> I hadn't thought about trying to replace the entire key, I'll try that
> tomorrow.

I use a combination of reg files & kixstart script to alter thing like this. I can't praise
Kixstart.org enough there scipting tool is really good, you can do loads with it.

Here is the section of my login.kix file that alter my doc's, it's called by startup.bat

$mydocs="p:\";
$ikey="HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders"
		IF (WriteValue($ikey,"Personal",$mydocs,"REG_SZ") <> 0)
			? "Update error MyDocuments @error: @serror"
		ENDIF
	$ikey="HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders"
		IF (WriteValue($ikey,"Personal",$mydocs,"REG_SZ") <> 0)
			? "Update error MyDocuments @error: @serror"
		ENDIF

Looking at the above it would appear that you need to alter 2 keys, Shell Folders & User Shell
Folders, most of this bit came off the kixstart.org forum.

If you'd like the complete files let me know and I'll send them over