[K12OSN] server chooser based on desktop environment?

Michael C Wescott wescott at sc.rr.com
Wed Jun 1 23:07:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 06:32, Rob Owens wrote:
> Just curious -- Is it possible to direct a user to a
> particular server based on the desktop environment
> they choose?  For instance, all KDE users get logged
> into server1, all GNOME users get logged into server2,
> etc.

I can't think of any way to do that without coding one's
own version of xdm/gdm/kdm. Once you get to the point of
selecting a desktop enviroment and logging in you are
already connected to a particular server.

On the other hand, it is possible to configure the clients'
Xserver to do an "indirect" query of a server (typically
the one that they booted from). The "indirect" connection
of the Xserver will give the user a choice of available
servers to which they can connect. Some xdmcp daemons will
include additional information in the list of servers like
load average: a poor man's load balancing. You could use
this technique and name the servers with their supported
desktop environment.

--
	Mike Wescott
	wescott at sc.rr.com