[K12OSN] Saving money on memory

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Jun 3 13:10:39 UTC 2005

> So it boils down to this - can I use cheap memory in a Dell
> or similar server? If not, where do you get a server as above
> for less than $2200?
> Any input is welcome!

I do just about all of my memory shopping at www.crucial.com. The price
there is usually very competitive, but not some fly by night internet
shop.  I have never had trouble with their product.  And the best part
about the site is if you don't know what your machine will handle you
can use their drop down menus to select your exact machine, when
finished it will list exactly what RAM modules will work in your
machine, how many banks and how many slots the server has along with max
memory it can handle.  I use them all of the time just to see what a
machine takes for RAM when servicing it.

Hope that helps.