[K12OSN] Saving money on memory

Bill Bardon bill at computassist.com
Fri Jun 3 15:14:30 UTC 2005

On Thursday, Jun 02 Timothy Legge wrote:
> AMD and Tyan are both very good Linux/Open Source sponsors and well
> worth considering.  For the price you are quoting it will be tight.  I
> went to http://www.shoprbc.com (currently my favourite online Canadian
> retailer) and priced out a dual opteron.  These prices are *Canadian*
> but total 2,600 USD):
>
> 4 GB Kingston ValueRam (4x1GB) PC2100 ECC DDR Memory 		$1164.00
> 2 Maxtor Atlas 10KV 73.5GB U320 SCSI Hard Drive, 68-Pin 	$830.00
> AMD Opteron DP Server Model 242 Processor, Retail 		$506.00
> Tyan Thunder Dual Opteron MB w/Video/2GBLan/SATA/RAID/SCSI 	$741.00
>
> Add on a case and it is a very capable machine but it still blows your
> budget.  Dropping back to a single CPU would save some money as would
> SATA drives.
>
> Good luck

Thanks for the data, Tim.  Dropping back is something I don't want to
have to do.  I'm very (overly?) concerned that this system performs
well, as it will be the district's first exposure to K12LTSP, and I want
them to say "WOW!", not "I knew it's wasn't as good as Windows!"

I'm pretty sure I will have to go with a used box, but all this input is
helping steer me toward the right solution.

--
Bill Bardon
COMPUTASSIST