[K12OSN] Using Yum - Help

Dale Sykora dalen at czexan.net
Fri Jun 3 15:51:32 UTC 2005

Mark Sarria wrote:
> I am trying to us yum to download and install updates for samba, and
> smbldap-tools. I might be using incorrectly, this is what I enter in the
> prompt:
> # yum update
>
> Then I get this message:
> You have enabled checking  of packages via GPG keys. This is a good thing.
> However, you do not have any GPG public keys installed. You need to download
> the keys for packages you wish to install and install them. You can do that
> by running the command: rpm --import public.gpg.key
> For more information....
>
> I am I missing something, or better yet ,can someone educate me on the
> proper use of yum, for updates.
>
> Thank you for your help
Mark,
	The GPG keys are on your system.  This is what I do to import them on a
new system. From a terminal, run the following.

updatedb
rpm --import `locate GPG`

Updatedb updates the locate database which is a database of files on
your system.  `locate GPG` lists all the GPG keys and the backticks feed
this list to rpm --import  You could also just import the keys needed
for updates, but I find this more conveinent.

Thanks,

Dale