[K12OSN] OT? Fixing an Open Proxy

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Jun 5 13:14:13 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 00:32, Debbie Schiel wrote:
> Hi, I've just done that and the difference is amazing - well, the
> difference is
> that we're back to normal broadband speeds - FAB!
>
> I'll still have to learn how to secure our open proxy but at least I've
> stopped
> those mean & nasty spammers.

That's kind of odd unless someone had changed sendmail.  The default
setup on RedHat/Fedora for a long time has been that sendmail will
not accept mail over the network unless you make a change and
rebuild sendmail.cf.  Had the machine been kept current with
updates while exposed to the internet?   Unless you know who
made that change, I'd consider a complete re-install at the
first opportunity.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com