[K12OSN] Opteron Server Build < 2500.00

John Baillie jbaillie at stmarys-school.org
Tue Jun 7 00:37:43 UTC 2005

System building is quite an undertaking.

I went to the SuperMicro web site and found the following.

http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/E7501Compatibility.cfm

Interesting to see how the different distributions are supported or not
on various boards.

I went to other board manufactures sites to see if I could find similar
matrix's. If they are out there, they are not easy to find.

I went to asacomputers.com and had them work up a server for us. I was
impressed with the sales rep and the price but it was just a little more
than I wanted to spend. I really try to squeeze the most out of my
limited budget. This of course comes at the expense of my time but that
one of the benefits of liking your job!

The school is paying one of our local lug members to work with me on our
summer upgrades and he put together a nice server at a great price but
just as I was ready to place the order... poof the board is no longer
available.

Honestly, if I figured the time I spent researching the two servers I
built over Christmas and now this one they'd end up being quite
expensive.

The nice thing is, after this server is built we ought to be set for the
next couple of years. Plenty head room to add more terminals as we see
fit.

Just thinking out loud.

John