[K12OSN] xfce and vnc

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue Jun 7 01:03:30 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 11:40 -0400, David M. Rogers wrote:

-snip-

> I am setting up a tunnel with ssh to secure the connection, but I don't
> think that has anything to do with the problem. In fact, when I try to
> connect through a linux client I can see the error messages on the
> server that says:
> xfdesktop: running without session manager.
> xfce4-panel: running without session manager.
>
> My suspicion is that I do not have the vnc xstartup file setup
> correctly. Usually I just substitute the last line with:

I think your suspicion is probably right - I don't have a ready answer
because I have zero experience with vnc.  However, the clue is in that
error message you tracked down showing that the Xfce session manager is
not working with vnc for some reason.  If no vnc gurus pop up with an
answer here, try the Xfce list 'cause they're a helpful bunch, too.
Xfce is great - I've converted from KDE and reclaimed performance on my
ageing workstation.

--
Regards,
        Gavin Chester