[K12OSN] 64 bit Intel with HT or 64 bit AMD dual core?

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 20:21:39 UTC 2005

Just to think out loud:

I would have though that it would be more cost-effective, and stable,
to get two lesser servers and then use a Samba/LDAP setup for
authentication and storage.  I also remember hearing about some kind
of "collission" errors with that many clients on one system.

Don't you feel vulnerable with that many clients on one system?
Again, I tend to be known as Scrooge, but the better the technology,
typically the more you pay per user.  So two servers of lesser
technology should perform just as well but at less cost, with the
added advantage that if one goes down, you can shuffle all the others
to the remaining one--with a performance hit, but at least the system
is still accessible...?

Steve

On 6/7/05, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/7/05, Jim Christiansen <christiansen_j at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, I forgot to mention that I'm looking for horsepower to run more than 80
> > clients at the same time...
>
> Go dual Opterons. They have built in memory controllers and dedicated
> memory banks. For 80 clients you will need 8 gigs of ram. So use
> hugemem kernel in 4.2.1EL or install AMD64 arch. If you go 64 bit you
> may have problems with binary only browser plugins.
>
> --
> Robert Arkiletian
> C++ GUI tutorial http://fltk.org/links.php?V19

Steve Hargadon