[K12OSN] Question regarding LDAP

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Jun 8 20:54:01 UTC 2005

I have been "gonna" install LDAP in our district for 2 years now, but
I've always stuck with NIS, because it *just works*  -- the new LDAP
scripts I've heard about, do they really make it not-too-difficult to
set up LDAP authentication that allows users to change passwords, etc?

Since it's summer, I want to reconfigure lots of things, and having a
centralized addressbook would be a nice add-on feature.  I'll admit,
I'm hesitant to leave the security of NIS, but I think it might be
the right time to make the switch.

I don't really need to have windows active directory compatibility
(thanks to pgina!) -- but there might be other reasons that make it
worth while.

Lastly, does any one know if ipcop/dansguardian combination will
authenticate against an openLDAP server?

Thanks again,
-Shawn