[K12OSN] Replacing ltsp 4.0.1 with 4.2.1

John Baillie jbaillie at stmarys-school.org
Fri Jun 10 18:07:06 UTC 2005

Jim Doyle wrote:
I am now using K12LTSP release 4.0.1-1
I would like to do a new install (not an upgrade - right?) to 4.2.1 and
keep my /home.

1. Is ltsp 4.2.1 stable and the best choice at this time?
2. Can I just copy /home to a safe place and then copy it back after the
install is complete? That is, replace the /home created by the
installation with my backed copy of /home?
4. As I recall I should copy a few other directories also, but can not
find my notes.
3. Is it a good idea to have /home on its own partition (in the new
installation)?
4. Is there a HOWTO on this subject?

Help with any or all the above would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Here's my .02

I had some issues moving from 4.1 to 4.2 back in December. I had to drop back to 4.1
The problem was specific to my hardware.
I have a test going at the moment with the same server but using Eric's beta 4.2 based on CentOS
and all is well.

Short of putting /home on a separate file server putting it on it's own partition is the way to go, IMHO.
Makes the whole upgrade process that much easier.

You shouldn't have any issues with moving 4.1 based /home into 4.2

I also back up /etc and /opt/ltsp

You will want to restore /etc/passwd /etc/group /etc/shadow to get your users and associated permissions back.
Also if you have custom settings in lts.conf you will want to back that up also.

If you have a web site on this box you will want to back it up
/var/www/html
and if you have any databases you will want those back too. I use mysql for LAMP stuff
so I back up /var/lib/mysql

What you back up largely depends on your current backup procedure and what services you are running.

We have a couple of scripts we keep in /root that we backup (probably should keep them somewhere else)
I have backed up /root/.bash_history at times to help jog my memory.

How-To's

A little dated but these will get you going in the right direction.

http://k12ltsp.org/faq.html
http://k12linux.org/netadmin/backup.html

John