[K12OSN] Web Based Email

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Jun 10 21:36:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 14:58, John Warf wrote:
> We are currently looking at going away from POP3 email to a web based
> solution.  Anyone have any good suggestions for a server program that
> is free or low cost.  Below are things that I would love to have
> included.
>
> I would like to still have the option for POP3 for some people but
> most users will be web based.
> I also need it to be easy to use and have a look and feel a lot like
> Exchange (or equivalent).
> I want it to run off of a Linux box (Red-Hat 7.3 or 9) or run off a
> Mac Server running OS 10.4.
>
> Any suggestions and things that other school systems are using would
> be greatly appreciated.

The really, really simple way is to install SME server which you
can download from http://www.contribs.org.  It is a simple install
with a web-based administration interface - just add users - pop,
imap, and webmail will work out of the box.

The down side is that it has not been updated in a long time and
since it is heavily customized it is difficult to make additional
changes yourself.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com