[K12OSN] Web Based Email

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Fri Jun 10 21:44:36 UTC 2005

I second Les' suggestion.  We have used SME for 4 years.  The webmail interface
is easy to use.  If you are going to use the box exclusively as an email server,
the customization of SME is not a problem.  In fact, it makes the server much
harder to attack.  Also, there are many modules written for it that are easy to
install.  Several schools here in Illinois are using SME as an email server.

Quoting Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com>:

> On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 14:58, John Warf wrote:
> > We are currently looking at going away from POP3 email to a web based
> > solution.  Anyone have any good suggestions for a server program that
> > is free or low cost.  Below are things that I would love to have
> > included.
> >
> > I would like to still have the option for POP3 for some people but
> > most users will be web based.
> > I also need it to be easy to use and have a look and feel a lot like
> > Exchange (or equivalent).
> > I want it to run off of a Linux box (Red-Hat 7.3 or 9) or run off a
> > Mac Server running OS 10.4.
> >
> > Any suggestions and things that other school systems are using would
> > be greatly appreciated.
>
> The really, really simple way is to install SME server which you
> can download from http://www.contribs.org.  It is a simple install
> with a web-based administration interface - just add users - pop,
> imap, and webmail will work out of the box.
>
> The down side is that it has not been updated in a long time and
> since it is heavily customized it is difficult to make additional
> changes yourself.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com