[K12OSN] Teacher Tool

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 17:16:45 UTC 2005

On 6/13/05, Martin Woolley <sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk> wrote:
> G'day,
> has anyone managed to get the vnc option working in Teacher Tool, and if so
> would they be willing to share how they did this?  I am of the opinion that
> there is a fundamental flaw with the command that TT runs; said command is
> vncviewer -passwd /usr/local/share/passwd server:99

The reason for this is that you should use TT in conjunction with
vncreflector which can be setup to reflect off port 99

> We are expecting the server to be called "server" and the vncserver to be

Good point. If you set your hostname to something other than the
default then you will be in trouble. This needs to be fixed. When I
finish the new TT this summer I will see if I can replace it with
`hostname`

> running on port 99 of the server.  Thin clients don't acutally run a
> vncserver, so I can see how it is possible to connect to a logged in thin
> client.  This is obviously a desirable thing to do as we want the teachers to
> be able to see what the students are up to and, if necessary, do something on
> the students screen, all from the comfort of the teachers desk.

Actually it's purpose was to allow the students to see what the
teacher is doing. ie demos.

--
Robert Arkiletian