[K12OSN] RE: K12OSN Digest, Vol 16, Issue 15

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 10:52:17 UTC 2005

If this is meant to play on regular tv sets, then DVD
quality is probably not necessary.  A regular
(non-high-definition) has the same resolution as VHS
(approximately).  DVD's look better than VHS on a
regular TV because it is a better medium (less noise,
better color representation, etc), but not necessarily
because of its higher resolution.

Off the top of my head (might not be exact, but pretty
close):

VHS / standard TV  --  352x240
DVD                --  720x480

A DVD resolution file has double the pixels in both
directions, so it ends up being 4 times the size of a
VHS resolution file.  There's also bitrate and frames
per second to consider, both of which contribute to
file size.  In general, I think it's safe to reduce
the bitrate from the dvd standard, which is something
like 7000 kbps.  For web video, folks often consider
it acceptable to cut the framerate in half.  This
results is slightly jumpy video, which might not be
acceptable in a school setting.

-Rob