[K12OSN] why is printing SOOOO slow??

Joe Guenther jguenther at chinooksedge.ab.ca
Tue Jun 14 18:12:40 UTC 2005

One of my annoyances with K12LTSP is the extremely slow printing.  We
print directly to the IP address of a HP 4000 laserjet with Jet direct
card.  It uses CUPS v1.1.22rc1 (K12LTSP 4.2)

The printer waits between each page.  The CPU usage (dual 2.4Ghz Xeon)
goes to 100% on both CPUs when printing.  When only one job is printing,
one CPU will be on 100% the other lower, but with multiple docs in the
queue (http://127.0.0.1:631) both CPU's peak at 100% ... an the printing
takes a day and an age.

This is especially frustrating as we are writing diploma exams, a lab of
22 people writing simultaneously.  The students can print a copy and then
edit it one more time before printing the final copy.  When it takes 10
mins to get your copy out of the printer queue, the editing time is gone
before you can use it. :-(

There has got to be a better way to do this printing!!

Joe Guenther