[K12OSN] LTSP version choices

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 19:00:50 UTC 2005

I subscribe to the fedora legacy list and let me tell you they are
struggling to keep up. It sometimes  takes a long time after RHEL
releases their patches. Also they don't have a rigorous testing
requirement. I think they are doing a wonderful job but at the rate
that fedora releases it's a difficult undertaking.

The other aspect which is not as visible is that Centos/RHEL has
slightly different kernels. For example RHEL has a separate smp and
hugemem kernel for i386 and FC only has a smp which also handles stuff
over 4 gigs. Also, if you have certain scsi controllers I have read
many posts where they are just not detected at install with FC.
Centos/RHEL solved this problem for many on this list.

Eric's plan is to release a very stable k12ltsp every few years. The
last one was 3.1.2 (RH9)  now the next one is 4.2.1EL (RHEL4). I am
installing it this summer at my school.

--
Robert Arkiletian
Eric Hamber Secondary