[K12OSN] which xserver to use?

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Fri Jun 17 10:24:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 03:04 -0700, Rob Owens wrote:
> It's a Gateway PII 233 MHz.  The video card is AGP,
> not PCI.  I don't know the specs on the motherboard
> (the computer is not in the same building as me right
> now).

This configuration (AGP) should boot with XSERVER =auto

> Last night I installed Mandrake 10.1 on that machine
> to see what x-server it chose as the default.  It was
> GLoria Synergy (and it was later referred to as Elsa
> GLoria Synergy).  It identified the monitor as
> 1024x768 @ 70Hz, and set the resolution to 800x600
> 24bpp.  With these settings it booted and ran KDE
> fine.

This also does not seem to be a problem.

> The question now is, how to I get these settings when
> the machine acts as a thin client?  GLoria Synery
> doesn't seem to be listed as an option for x-servers.
> Can I find it somewhere and copy it over the the ltsp
> tree?

First check waht is the AGP memory allocation in BIOS? Is it by any
chance less than 2MB?

Second you can copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config (depending
on what version of k12 you are running) to /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/X11
directory (you may have to make the X11 folder) Note the details of
display and card sections when you run Mandrake and then edit the file
you copied accordingly.

In lts.conf just mention XF86CONFIG_FILE = "the file you have edited"

This should work. Although from all the hardware specs you have
mentioned auto or at worst vesa driver should have worked and that too
at 1024x768 resolution.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux