[K12OSN] Re: VNC reflector SUCCESS!! with 4.2.1EL

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 22:58:17 UTC 2005

On 6/17/05, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) Also,  I noticed
>
> Same machine: preferring raw encoding
>
> I suspect vnc is simply using raw encoding because it thinks the
> display is on the same machine. But since this display is remote it
> does go over the
> network. So I figure it could make use of a better encoding method.
> How can I speed things up because there is a definite lag on all
> student displays
> even using a fast switch.

I should have read the vncviewer man page first. I am going to force
Hextile encoding.  Hopefully that will speed things up. So from the
client

$vncviewer -encodings Hextile `hostname`:99

I will build this into the new TeacherTool I'm developing with FLTK
along with some other goodies.  I'm hoping to have it done by Sept.
BTW I'm using tightvnc viewer 1.2.9 RH7 rpm

Looking forward to using 4.2.1EL

--
Robert Arkiletian