[K12OSN] which xserver to use?

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Sat Jun 18 02:48:20 UTC 2005

On Jun 17, 2005, at 6:04 AM, Rob Owens wrote:

> The question now is, how to I get these settings when
> the machine acts as a thin client?  GLoria Synery
> doesn't seem to be listed as an option for x-servers.
> Can I find it somewhere and copy it over the the ltsp
> tree?

Ok, here's a snippet from bugzilla.redhat.com: (my comments are below)

Red Hat Hardware Catalog

Certification – Elsa GLoria Synergy

Detail 1:
Ease of Install: 4
Hardware Id: 3853
<b>Card Chipset:</b> 3D Labs Permedia 2
Component Class: 2D Video Adapter
Component Test: Must complete an installation, either graphical or text.
Must pass the rhr-core tests.
Must pass the rhr-dd_x test @ each available color depth.
Component Notes: 24 bpp testing is not required if 32 bpp is available.
3D is not tested at this time.
Created On: 2001-11-21 13:27:18-05
Modified On: 2001-11-21 13:27:18-05

(from http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/show.cgi?id=153497)

Now the part I'm not sure about is the available drivers in LTSP.  It
looks like you either want the "glint" driver for using XFree86 4.x,
or "XF86_3dlabs" for XFree86 3.x driver.

I think LTSP 4.1 (K12LTSP 4.2) uses X.org instead of XFree86, so that
might throw another monkey wrench into the mix.  Also, I'm not sure
if either of the above mentioned drivers are available in LTSP, AND I
don't know how to add them if they are not.

Hopefully someone can pipe in and give a little more technical
guidance -- but I think that gets to the bottom of what kind of card
you have...

Hope this has helped some...

-Shawn