[K12OSN] backup question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Jun 20 17:17:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 09:57, george kocke wrote:

> > I guess it's time to plug backuppc again.
>
> How well does backuppc work with external drives? I'm probably wrong,
> but the last time I looked at it was about a year ago and I got the
> impression that it is designed to work with a single drive.
>
> I'm currently using my own solution with five external USB drives and
> rsync, but would like to use something more refined.

Backuppc doesn't know or care where the drive is.  However, it does all
have to be on a single filesystem so the hard links can work to pool the
files.  I use a RAID1 mirror between an internal IDE and an external
firewire and have had some trouble with the firewire drivers on
2.6 kernels so I wouldn't recommend doing that, but USB 2.0 would
probably be OK.  You could also simply rotate the entire disk that
backuppc uses.  Every time you swap it would do it's next incrementals
based on where that drive stopped last time around and each drive
would accumulate it's own history.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com