[K12OSN] backup question

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Mon Jun 20 17:42:57 UTC 2005

A lot of people have recommended using rsync to do backups to another
machine on the network. This is a great idea, and very similar to what I
do. I use rdiff-backup, which uses rsync in the background. I like it
better than plain rsync because it allows one to easily go back to
previous versions of files if needed, does the whole thing over an SSH
tunnel, and has some nice reporting capabilities. It is similar to
rsnapshot, but rather than using hardlinks and copies of changed files,
it stores diffs of the changed files so it is a little more space
efficient, but that prevents the older versions from being transparently
available on the filesystem. This may or may not be important to you. In
any case, rdiff-backup or rsnapshot are more robust than rsync by
itself.

--
-Best Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-