[K12OSN] Re: How to make a Mac default to network boot

Jimmy Schwankl schwankl at chatham.k12.nc.us
Fri Jun 24 18:13:19 UTC 2005

Petre wrote:

> Since I have to return this Mac at the end of the summer :-( what
> is the Open Firmware command to set it back to booting from its
> local hard drive?  Also, trying Frank's idea, setting the net boot
> in OS X, sounds interesting, but won't that take longer to boot,
> since the system has to load at least a portion of OS X to figure
> out it should load a different OS from the netowrk?

Petre,

No, setting the boot pref from within OS X is the same as setting it
from within OS 9.  It sets the OpenFirmware (read BIOS) default boot
device. I thought maybe you were trying to do this diskless, in which
case you'd have to go with the open firmware option.
To set it back to local booting, it depends on what OS is on the HD.
If OS 9, you could zap the PRAM by powering on and holding down the
Command + Option+P+R and let chime a few times. That should let it
startup from the HD.  Once you're in OS 9 you can set the default
boot device from within the Startup Disk Control Panel.
If you have OS X installed, you can just hold down the Option key
after powering on and you should be presented with a list of possible
startup devices to choose from.Once you're in OS X you can set the
default boot device from within System Prefs.

Peace,
Jimmy

2 + 2 = 5  ( for extremely large values of 2)

**This message was sent from the Chatham County Schools Mail Server**
*****All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to
the North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring
and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.*****