[K12OSN] 4.2.1 fresh install, trying to move old /home to it

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Sun Jun 26 16:14:07 UTC 2005

ssanders at coin.org wrote:
> hi all, i have been doing nothing but upgrade, upgrade, upgrade for the
> last three versions on my home/test server. i decided to try a fresh
> install on a new drive, then move the users' /home directory over. the
> install went very well, but when i booted to a Knoppix disk to try to
> copy the /home info over, the fresh install is not easily visible?
>
> cat /etc/fstab only shows the /boot partition. suggestions?

Newer versions of Fedora/K12LTSP use LVM2 for the root partition by
default. Older versions of Knoppix may not be able to read these, as
Knoppix used to (or still does?) default to using a 2.4 kernel, which
doesn't support LVM2. I think newer versions of knoppix have a 2.6
kernel, which you can boot to by typing knoppix26 (I think) at the boot
prompt.

Once you're on a newer kernel, you may still need to mount the partition
manually. Something like: "/dev/MyVG0/MyLV0"

Dan Young <dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Parkrose School District