[K12OSN] Re: How to make a Mac default to network boot

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Jun 27 14:57:29 UTC 2005

Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> Boot with apple+option+o+f again
> Type the follwing at the command line:
>
> setenv boot-device enet:192.168.0.254

Is there a way to tell it to netboot without specifying the address of the server?  When
I set it within OS X (since, in this case, I do have a functioning OS on the disk), I
don't specify the address of the server.  I know that's sort of comparing apples to
oranges, but from what others have said, making the change via the OS just adjusts the
OpenFirmware ultimately anyway, right?  In which case, whatever OS X is telling it, it
doesn't include the server address.  I'd like to keep it as generic as possible, so it
should get its boot info from whatever server responds.  There's only one server, but
someday the address might change as a new server takes the place of the old one.

Petre