[K12OSN] Need a script

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Mar 1 20:57:55 UTC 2005

> Manually, I am going into /var/www/html and creating a folder
> called t.name## (yes, one by one...). I then I set chmod 775
> and chgrp tchr. I then make a link of this
> /var/www/html/t.name## and move it to the t.name## home area, where I
rename it 'html' - > this way, when a student types >
http://servername/t.name# they
> can see any and all documents
> that that teacher put in his/her <html> folder - I suggest to
> them to stay away from using index.html, as that turns off
> the listing of that 'storage/drop area'

This has nothing to do with making a script but may be a simpler way for
you to do things.  If I recall there is a function in Apache to
automatically enable user webpages.  You would access these with
http://servername/~t.name#  the ~ says this is a user website and points
it to the html folder by default in the users home directory.  I cannot
remember exactly the syntax for setting this up or what it is called but
there is usually a sample section in httpd.conf.

This will of course enable user pages for all users that have a html
folder in their user directory.  Just another line of thinking for you
to ponder.