[K12OSN] Project MueKow

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Tue Mar 1 23:38:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 15:38, Jim McQuillan wrote:
>
> > A huge number of LTSP users are deploying with 486's, Pentium-I's and
> > Pentium-II's, with 32mb (or less).  Trying to use the servers optimized
> > binaries just wouldn't work in that case.  and at this point, we're just
> > not interested in having to maintain 2 different ways of doing this.  1
> > for same-arch clients, and a separate method for different-arch clients.
> > and when I talk about diff-arch here, i'm referring to the difference
> > between i386 and i686.  (Lots of i386 clients running from i686
> > servers).
>
> OK, server disk space is cheap enough that it probably isn't worth a lot
> of trouble to save space by making the NFS-export the same as the server
> uses.  However, just based on hardware that has been manufactured and
> is now obsolete and going off-lease, I'd guess that there is an
> excellent chance that anyone building a new ltsp system today (and for
> a long time going forward) would end up with an all-686 system). Thus

Maybe in your world, everybody has P3 and P4 workstations, but ask the
80,000 students in So.Africa who are using LTSP, or the 600 schools in
Peru that are setting up k12ltsp, or the projected 6,000 Telecentros
locations in Brazil, or even look at the LTSP SuccessStories wiki entry
at wiki.ltsp.org, and you'll see that old 486's, pentium-I's and II's
are still VERY popular for deploying as thin clients.

Almost every day I get reports of people deploying LTSP in areas where
their only client hardware is old donated equipment, and it's NOT i686
stuff.

I'm just not willing to abandon those folks.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org