[K12OSN] XKB and sound problems with 4.2

Dr. Daniel Loomis drloomis at cox-internet.com
Wed Mar 2 02:11:02 UTC 2005

I just upgraded our 3.1.2 to 4.2.0 and mostly everything is ok, except
for the following:

1.  Error activating XKB  configuration

Clients get this message in a small window during login.  I understand
this is a known bug.  I tried adding the following symlinks

ln -s /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86 /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg
ln -s /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst

as per recommendations of RedHat, but still get errors.  I even made the
same symlinks in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules and in the comparable
locales under /opt/ltsp/i386.

2.  Sound no longer works.  Before I had sound with everything using
nasd.  I tried nasd and esd, added the /tmp/.esd/socket and still no
sound. Not just in flash, but in Tuxpaint, Tuxtype, etal.

Neither of the above are world shakers in our Library setup.  Still, I
like to get things working correctly . . . something about being anal
rententive . . .

My search of the archives failed to bring up any fixes.  Did I somehow
miss a posting that addresses these problems?

Dan