[K12OSN] 2005 Northeast Linux Symposium at Gould Academy

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Thu Mar 3 04:52:55 UTC 2005

Hi everyone!  (pardon me if you got dupes of this message...I'm working
with many mailing lists)

2005 Northeast Linux Symposium at Gould Academy!

I finally have the pieces in place to begin accepting registrations for
the 2005 Northeast Linux Symposium at Gould Academy in Bethel Maine.  This
year's conference will be held on June 19th, 20th, and 21st.  The cost is
the same as last year....$400, which covers the cost of the conference AND
room & board (pretty cool, huh?)  Additionally, if you are local or will
not be staying on campus the cost is $350.  The format of the conference
is basically 3 to 4 major day-long "labs" on each of the three days along
with several mini-sessions (about 1-2 hours depending on the topic) in the
evening.  Major topics for the "lab" sessions in the past have included
K12LTSP/LTSP, SME server, MySQL, Security and your Network, Samba/LDAP,
Installing Linux, IPSEC/VPN..etc.  These topics can and will change as I
receive feedback from all of you about what you'd like to learn about.
The mini-sessions were new last year and were kinda' fun.  They included
discussions, multi-media in Linux, building interactive web sites, and
more!  (I learned a lot in the multi-media one)  This year promises to be
better than ever!

Those of you who have attended in the past know very well that we take
good care of everyone.  We encourage all participants to bring equipment
with them if they can...this is a "hands-on" conference.  We also do quite
well in the hospitality department.  Aside from being in a beautiful
picturesque New England private school located in the Western Mountains
(ski country) of Maine, we also manage to feed you very well.  The food is
incredible and like the past couple of years, we're planning on having our
"wine & cheese" reception again (always a big hit) prior to the big meal
at the end of day two.  Last, but not least is the opportunity to meet,
talk, and network with folks just like you.  I've made some great friends
and contacts over the past couple of years as a result of this conference.

For those of you who've never met him....Jim MacQuillan, founder of the
Linux Terminal Server Project, is tentatively planning to join us for at
least a day as part of his family vacation to Maine.  I hope he can make
it and spend some time with us.

As many of you already know, my co-director for the past couple of
years...Derek Dresser of Gould Academy....is moving on to pursue other job
interests.  Derek will still hopefully be around for this years
conference, but is no longer involved in the planning.  I have taken over
the direction and planning of the conference and am joined by Matt Oquist,
an Open Source software engineer from New Hampshire.  I have worked with
Matt quite a bit over the past year and we have collaborated on the
development of the smbldap-installer project which was released in
January.  Matt is a welcome addition and I hope you'll join me in
welcoming him aboard.

So...all that being said...here's what you need to know....

To register for the 2005 Northeast Linux Symposium please go to
http://linux.majen.net/ and fill out the registration form.

Then mail your check or PO ($400....or $350 if not staying on campus) to:
 (also make payable to)

Copper Dog Consulting and Training
118 South Stanley Hill Rd.
Vassalboro, ME 04989

*indicate that it is for the 2005 Northeast Linux Symposium

Please register ASAP so you can be guaranteed a spot.

Lastly...drop us an email letting us know of any topics you'd like to
learn more about...AND/OR if you are interested in being a presenter...let
me know what topic you might like to present (we do compensate)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us