[K12OSN] Re: samba ldap credentials question (SOLVED)

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Mar 3 21:58:04 UTC 2005

> So here's a tip.  When you are setting the password for the Manager
> account, Don't use a password with a semicolon in it!

I have ran into a few problems like that recently.  We use to use
special characters in password like #,!,@,$ etc.  But more and more I
run into problems with this.  Now I stick to standard alpha numeric
password.  Too much scripting sees the special characters in different
ways.  I first stumbled on the problems when users of IE tried to
ftp://username:password@ftp.server and kept telling me it didn't work.
Then I find out the stupid @ sign in the password was making it look
like ftp://username:p@ssword@ftp.server and they were getting an error
saying it couldn't find server ssword.  Stupid.  Then I ran into Webmin
mass upload problems with the ! And # characters.  And then more crap.
So I just banned it completely.

Alpha numeric, cryptic enough for me.