[K12OSN] Setting Up Censornet

David Whitmer dwblue02 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 04:22:19 UTC 2005

>Ken Johnson wrote:
>

>>I'm a newbie trying to set up Censornet. It looks
like a good solution
>>to my content filtering requirement.
>>
>>I am confused, however about where to place the
computer running Censornet.

>>K12LTSP:
>>
>>eth0--->Internet
>>
>>eth1--->switch--->workstations
>>
>>Censornet has 2 NICs also, how should they be
connected in this setup?

>>Also I am testing this on a home network that
consists of:

>>cable modem --->Netgear MR814 Router--->PCs
>>
>>When I connect the k12LTSP server  (eth0) to the
router it doesn't see
>>the Internet.
>>When I connect  the k12LTSP server  (eth0) directly
to the cable modem
>>it DOES see the internet.  Why?
>>
>>Is there any way I can put the k12LTSP server behind
my router so my
>>Windows stand-alone machines can share internet
access?

>>I would appreciate any help.
>>
>>Scratching my head-
>>Ken Johnson

>Hi Ken
>
>On my setup eth0 is the private (green) NIC, if you
log on at the
>Censornet box and look under the network setup, I
usually use two
>diffent types of NIC's so that I then know which is
which.

http://www.censornet.com/support/diags.php
>also
>http://www.adelix-server.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=857&highlight=bridge
>

>With a cable/dsl router I think you will need to
operate Censornet in
>bridge mode with one NIC's (the green) connected to
your router. Then
>set your windows / LTSP server to port 8080 with the
IP address of the
>green NIC to enable your machines to access the net.
The down side is
>that in bridge mode censornet will not act as a
firewall, but I guess
>your modem will have it own firewall built in and it
is possible for
>machines to bypass the proxie. If you have no othe
machines connected to
>your router except your Censornet box you should be
able to the same
>type of setup as below, as the router picks up the
public IP address,
>the rset are set to private IP's with different
subnets for the Red and
>Green NICs
>
>My Setup Home setup - non bridge mode (you could try
this to start with,
>then experiment with bridge mode)
>
>[Cable Modem IP set by
>ISP]------------[router192.168.1.x]----------[192.168.1.x
Red
192.168.0x]--------[SWITCH]-----[LTSP Server]

>My school setup is very similar but I am using a DSL
modem with one
>Ethernet port which is in the same subnet as the Red
NIC of the
>Censornet box. The few windows machines connect to
via a Switch along
>with the LTSP server to the Green NIC of the
Cenosrnet box, all of which
>is on a differnt subnet to the Red interface.
>

>Hope this Helps
>
>Peter
>
>www.tinityschool.org.uk

Ken,

I've got both Censornet and K12LTSP 4.2 running on my
home LAN.  PCs on the LAN as well as clients being
served by the LTSP server are all going through
Censornet successfully.  My Censornet box is using 2
NICs in bridge mode, one connected to my
router/firewall, and the other connected to a network
switch which connects the rest of my LAN (mix of
Windows & Linux PCs, plus the LTSP server).
Conceptually:

[internet] -- [cable modem] -- [router (192.168.0.1)]
--  [CN eth1-bridge mode (192.168.0.253)-CN eth0] --
[switch] -- [LTSP eth1 (192.168.0.50)]

LTSP eth0 is on a separate subnet, 192.168.1.x.

Following up on Peter's advice about port 8080, you
should also verify that you've configured Censornet to
allow both of the NICs in your LTSP server to have web
access.  Without completing this step, Censornet will
default to blocking web access from the LTSP server
and its clients.

I hope this helps.

David Whitmer