[K12OSN] Samba/LDAP script problem

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Fri Mar 4 08:49:36 UTC 2005

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I was recently pointed to: http://web.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/linux/smbldap/
>
> To help me finally get a PDC and BDC up and running.
>
> I have not yet switched to the k12osn kernel.  I have to figure out
> if it would make sense, I have the Centos distro.
>
> So I download the .tgz and run the tar, getting this error:
>
> [root at homebase t3125rm]# tar -xzvf smbldap-installer-1.2.tgz
> tar: invalid option --
> Try `tar --help' for more information.
>
> Note that I am running as root, with the tgz in my user home
> directory.
>
> Obviously I am not adept at tar, so help?

Ah so I catch you on this list now *grin*

Try it without the - sign so it reads

tar zxvf smbldap-installer-1.2.tgz

if your unsure what each bit is here you go

z - using gzip compression you can tell this from the tgz extension
x - extract
v - verbose
f - File I think

If you have a gui installed on the machine try using that to extract the
file or do it through windoze and then copy over the directory using
something like winscp

Brian