[K12OSN] 2nd Attempt: Having trouble getting write access to a Win2k drive...

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Mar 4 12:40:03 UTC 2005

Here's the way I handle this at work.

smbmount //winsrv/winshare /mnt/mymountpoint -o fmask=777 dmask=777 \
  username=mywindowslogon password=mywindowspassword

The security-conscious will say, "Hey, whassup with the 777
permissions?"  Essentially, what you're doing is opening an unrestricted
door to the Windows share, from the point of view of the GNU/Linux
server.  This is not so from the point of view of the Windows server.
Remember that the Windows share itself has permissions on it (you do
have your NTFS and share permissions properly set, right?  :-) ), and
the Windows server will say yay or nay to access based on its own
permissions settings.

Now, this assumes that you want to use a common security context for
your K12LTSP users to hit this Windows share.  This won't work so well
if you need each user to be able to hit his own individual Windows share
from the K12LTSP server, which is why most folks (including me) do it
backwards--have Windows clients hit a Samba/NFS server running GNU/Linux
or *BSD.

HTH,

--TP