[K12OSN] K12ltsp V 4.1.1 & new(er) kernels problem

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Mon Mar 7 04:06:31 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 19:12 -0800, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 12:45:38 -0600, Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com> wrote:
>
> > Errr, I thought the main advantage of Ubuntu was that they weren't
> > strictly following the Debian release schedule (or lack thereof).
>
> Yes that's true. I think Ubuntu is on a  6 month cycle.  Hopefully,
> Ubuntu can benefit from Debian stable patches. IMHO, Debian stable
> (soon to be Sarge) would be the best distro for K12LTSP. So moving to
> Ubuntu would make it much easier if people wanted to use Debian.

Ugh. Debian Woody is, what, almost 3 years old? Waaay too long to wait
between releases for a desktop OS. The desktop space is where
improvements are being made most rapidly, which is as it should be in a
"feature-rich environment." I'd rather not be saddled w/ a 2.4 kernel,
Mozilla 1.0, Evolution 1.0, etc.

Ubuntu plans to release every six months, but maintain releases for 18
months. 4.10 was release in October of last year (see the connection?
Version numbers are actually date-stamps) and will be maintained until
April 2006.

--
Dan Young <dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us>
Parkrose School District