[K12OSN] Windows Users changing password or not as the case may be

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Mon Mar 7 12:40:04 UTC 2005

I have setup a Fedora Core system using the smbldap-installer script and
everything seems to be working OK except for when users want to change there
password.

I have setup a test user called DERF using the following CL

smbldap-useradd -m -a derf
smbldap-passwd derf

and I set his password to jimmy.

I can login at the CL & via a Windose client without a problem.

If I now try to change the password via the "Change Password" option on a
CTRL ALT DEL it takes the old password & new password (trying to set it to
`example`) but after a few seconds a message pops back say "You do not have
permission to change your password"

But now if I try to login via the CLI I have to use the password I'd tried
to change it to (`example`) but via windows I have to use the old one
(`jimmy`)

I have tried running smbldap-passwd at the CLI logged in as the user and it
runs OK it's just the Samba bit that seems not to work.

Any idea's what to check ??

Thanks
Brian