[K12OSN] Making a dual boot on a Dell Inspiron 6000

John P. Conlon jconlon1 at elp.rr.com
Mon Mar 7 22:57:29 UTC 2005

I am trying to turn my new Dell Inspiron 6000 into a dual boot machine. I used Partition Magic 8.0 to move the NTFS windows partition boundary to give me room for Linux. I installed K12LTSP 4.1.0.  The installation went okay but on the restart I get the following error message:

Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I thought the problem might be version related and downloaded K12LTSP 4.2.  The 4.2 is okay because I used it to update two other computers first.  When I attempted to do a clean install on the Inspiron I got a popup window in the automatic partition part of the installation:

Could not allocate requested partitions:

Unsatisfied partition request

New Part Request -- mountpoint: None uniqueID:9

type physical volume (LVM) format: 1 badblocks: None

device: None drive ['sda'] primary: None

size: 0 grow: 1 maxsize: None

start None end: None migrate: None origfstype: None

Grub appears to work okay because I can boot to Windows with no problem.  What do I need to do to fix this problem?

Thanks ahead of time
Pat