[K12OSN] software installation

Luis Montes luis.montes at cox.net
Tue Mar 8 16:29:31 UTC 2005

There are several ways to install software in Linux.

Here's a few things to rember:

1. There is no registry, you can just put the files where they go make
sure permissions are set so that the right users can use the program.

2. Since you're using k121ltsp, you'll probably want to make this easy
using Redhat's Package Manager (rpm).  This puts the files where they go
with the correct permissions and allows you to upgrade or uninstall the
package.

3. There is also yum which solves package dependencies on other
packages. This connects to a repository to update your installed rpm
packages as well as install new ones.
Apt-get is similar to yum, but uses debian's packaging. You can get
modified version of apt-get to work with rpm packages as well.

4. Some off the shelf software for linux doesn't come with an rpm, but
instead there own scripts to install programs.

5. Sometimes just a source code file (usually a zipped up tar file) is
all that's available. Typically there are scripts to build the source
and install the binaries. Something like "configure" "make" & "make
install". Just make sure to read the README files.

Hope that helps,

Luis