[K12OSN] more smbldap problems. How can I reset everything and start over again.

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu at orcon.net.nz
Wed Mar 9 19:36:37 UTC 2005

I seem to have stuffed things up somehow with my smbldap installation
attempts.
Is there someway to start afresh?

If not this is another problem I have to fix:-

I am trying to get smbldap going
when I try to put the password for root I get the following messages:-

[root at k12ltsp sbin]# smbpasswd -a root
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
ldapsam_getsampwnam: Duplicate entries for this user [root] Failing.
count=2
ldapsam_add_sam_account: User 'root' already in the base, with samba
attributes
Failed to add entry for user root.
Failed to modify password entry for user root
[root at k12ltsp sbin]# smbpasswd root
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
ldapsam_getsampwnam: Duplicate entries for this user [root] Failing.
count=2
Failed to find entry for user root.
Failed to modify password entry for user root

How can I fix this?
This is somemore output that might be helpful:

[root at k12ltsp sbin]# getent passwd |grep root
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
operator:x:11:0:operator:/root:/sbin/nologin
root:x:0:512:Netbios Domain Administrator:/home/root:/bin/false
root:x:0:512:Netbios Domain Administrator:/home/root:/bin/false