[K12OSN] OT: Network FAX system vs. 12 FAX numbers

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Mar 9 21:21:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 13:09, David H. Barr wrote:
> Around Wednesday, March 09, 2005 12:54 PM,
> aust_txv at ACCESS-K12.org (mailto:aust_txv at ACCESS-K12.org) wrote:
> > Is anyone tackling network faxing ( Send and recieve ) with open
> > source
> > stuff ?   I have 12 different fax lines between my schools.  $$$$
> > Would love to have one FAX number distributing faxes via email to
> > users.
> > Is that called MS Exchange Server :)
>
> No, I believe it's called HylaFAX.

HylaFAX is probably the best if you have a lot of outbound traffic and
multiple lines.  For a mostly-inbound setup you could also use
the mgetty, mgetty-sendfax and mgetty-viewfax packages that you
can install with yum.  Back when modems were more necessary I
sometimes set up a modem with mgetty on a linux box for remote access
with autodetect for text mode, ppp, or fax calls and would later find
that it had accepted spam faxes and emailed them to root.  The hard
part of any inbound scheme is figuring out the right person to
receive them unless you designate someone to look at them all and
forward to the right place.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com