[K12OSN] Managing a Samba PDC

Mark Cockrell cockrell at honeygroveisd.net
Thu Mar 10 23:16:27 UTC 2005

Hello all,
    All the discussion of the new smbldap script flying around lately
has triggered a few questions in my disheveled mind.  I run a 700+ user
NT domain, with one PDC and 3 BDCs helping to distribute the
authentication load.  If I built a Samba PDC would the BDCs still sync
up with it, or would I have to turn them into just plain servers?  Could
I still use the NT User Manager for Domains application for user
creation and maintenance, or would I need to retrain my staff on
something else?  If I ran this script on my K12LTSP server, would it
automatically start accepting the existing Domain logons and passwords
transparently, or is there more to it than that? I've got my users
"Home" folders spread out across three servers, one for HS, one for MS,
and one for ES for fault tolerance.  Initially these were three separate
LANs and when we connected them I just left the existing scheme in
place.  Can the Samba PDC implementation handle that, or do I have to
change the way I do things? Forgive me if these are silly questions, but
I'm an NT guy trying to find his way in the Linux world.

--

C-ya,
Mark