[K12OSN] Help design a new elementary school!

The Prof joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 03:36:34 UTC 2005

Hello,

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far - I've taken notes for some
good points.  In terms of specific questions people have been asking,
we are building an entirely new structure, not renovating an old one.
And the design is a typical school - 3 floors, fixed-size classrooms
(average 800 sq feet) for each grade, art, library, etc.

To summarize the points so far:
1) lots of conduits for pulling cables now and in the future!
2) wiring for ceiling projectors in each classroom
3) planning for wireless (what does this mean anyway? thinner walls?)

(The other options, such as smart boards, etc, are a bit beyond our
budget, but I doubt they affect anything in the design phase.)

There was some discussion about the IDFs - I'm not sure what that
stands for, but I'm assuming that it refers to where all the servers
are.  We currently don't have anything like that in our school. We
just have the tower for the lab sitting in a corner of the lab room.
Is that the best approach? I thought a server room was mainly for
rack-mounted servers.

Along those lines, are there any comments or suggestions about how to
distribute the thin-clients around the school? Our location doesn't
have a specific curriculum for computers, so it is up to us to decide.
What are the pros vs. cons of a 'computer lab' where all the machines
are situated, vs. spreading them out in all the classrooms?  As well,
during how first wiring phase, how many drops should be going to each
classroom? I've heard numbers as high as 4 or 5.

Thanks,
Joseph